What is digital marketing and why does it matter?
Digital marketing is the practice of engaging customers and marketing leads on digital channels, including mobile and social media. According to Technopedia, digital marketing is an umbrella term that refers to various promotional techniques deployed to reach customers via digital technologies. In other words, digital marketing is the targeted, measurable and interactive marketing of products or services using digital technologies to reach and convert leads into customers and retain them.
The key objective is to promote brands, build preference, engage with customers, increase sales and boost customer retention through various digital marketing techniques.
The core promotional medium for digital marketing is the internet with support from mobile, traditional TV and radio marketing. Successful digital marketing campaigns usually include a holistic strategy which effectively uses all available mediums.
Which activities are included in digital marketing?
Digital marketing activities include, but are not limited to:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Content Marketing
- Influencer Marketing
- Content Automation
- Campaign Marketing
- E-commerce Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Social Media Optimization
- E-mail Direct Marketing
- Display Advertising
- Optical Disks and Games
- Other forms of Digital Media
Digital marketing also extends to non-internet channels that provide digital media, such as mobile phones (SMS and MMS), callback and on-hold mobile ring tones.
Digital marketing is based on the customer centric approach (or inbound marketing) which focuses on creating a positive consumer experience online and off-line, both at the point of sale and after the sale in order to retain customers and promote loyalty to a brand.
The five C’s of Digital Marketing
- Digital marketing focuses on the CONSUMER
- Quality CONTENT drives engagement
- CONTEXT allows us to understand and personalize engagement with the consumer
- COMMERCE must be convenient, fast and easy to ensure consistently high sales
- CONVERGENCE is the alignment or overlap between the goals of the consumer and the organization
Digital Marketing Formula: Consumer x (Context + Content)/Convergence = Commerce
Another C can be added to the list above, and that’s for CULTURE. As the consumer’s culture changes in the information age, the empowered consumer’s expectations are changing to reflect authenticity, intelligence and accessibility as the keys to success.
In today’s connected and on-demand economy, businesses must recognize that the only constant in digital marketing is change. And by honouring the 5 + 1 C’s of digital marketing, smart businesses can stay relevant and successful for years to come.
Why does your business need a digital marketing strategy?
- You do not have clear strategic goals or objectives for digital marketing;
- You do not know your online market share;
- You are competing with other companies who are gaining market share online;
- You do not have a powerful online value proposition or offer;
- You do not know your customers well enough;
- Your marketing efforts are not integrated with each other;
- You are not organised enough to invest sufficient resources into planning and implementation of digital marketing campaigns;
- You are wasting money and time through duplication across different departments or campaigns;
- You are not agile enough to catch up or stay ahead
- You are not optimizing your channels with the use of analytics
What does a digital marketer do?
A digital marketer fulfils many roles on a daily basis:
- Traditional Marketer – she promotes products, services or brands via one of more forms of media; plans and implements marketing campaigns and monitor the response.
- Strategic Planner – she translates your goals and objectives into a workable strategy with specific action plans and tactics to reach the desired goals for your business.
- Content Producer – she is your writer, your graphic designer, your photographer and your videographer who engages customers and potential consumers with entertaining and relevant content in line with the brand. Whether she is designing ads herself or briefing a designer or an agency, your digital marketer helps to translate the image in your head into engaging marketing material for your brand.
- Campaign Manager – she manages your paid advertising campaigns, social media platforms, SEO (search engine optimization) and everything else that needs to be done to ensure the campaign’s success.
- Technical Advisor – she is often the best person to advise you on digital investments, new platforms, current trends and much more.
- Campaign Tracker – she tracks the KPIs (key performance indicators to measure the success of a digital marketing strategy, e.g. conversions and conversion rate.
- Data Analyst – she is your analytical scientist, your numbers man, the one with the key to understanding your business and your customers.
You might find these related blog posts on Digital Marketing interesting: Digital Marketing
Get the right digital marketing strategy for your business by contacting me today! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give me a call on 021 981 1290.